Monday, October 20, 2014

Google Drive

Dear parents,
I know that there has been some confusion between home and school for about where to find directions for projects if they are posted on Google Drive.  In an attempt to help clear things up, this post is dedicated to Google Drive.

First of all, there will be several times throughout the year that Mr. Fishburn and I will share directions or copies of things with the kids.  CCLS uses google quite often all the way through the middle school and we are beginning to teach them how to use it this year.  In order to teach them, CCLS has given every student a google/gmail account.  Here's how to access it:

1. go to www.google.com on any computer
2. Click sign in and use your child's username and password that the school gave them. ( I have taped these to the inside cover of their planners, however they should already know it since we use it so much at school.)
3.  From there, they can access the google apps by clicking on the icon of tile squares in the top right corner.
4.  Click on "Drive" and they should be able to access any document I have "Shared" (sent) to them.
5. They can also create their own blank documents in My Drive.

This will come in handy for you at home when they bring longer projects home.  I will use Google Drive to share information directly with your child, but not necessarily with you (although you can access it with their account information as well).  I have found that this teaches a number of 21st century skills at a young age, and helps reinforce responsibility by being able to retrieve teacher given information on their own, but away from school.

Please remember: the blog is my communication tool to you parents, Google Drive is my communication tool and resource for the kids.  They have been taught how to use Google Apps at school and should be able to start transferring those skills to use at home as well.

I am hoping this cleared some things up, but if you still have questions feel free to stop in and I can show you these steps in person.



No comments:

Post a Comment